Thursday, August 25, 2011

AMSFCC's intern in Juneau

Jaspri Sylvan worked with Dr. Ginny Eckert from the School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences in her lab in Juneau. Learn more about her and her summer in the interview below!

Where did you grow up?

Juneau, Alaska

What is your educational background?

2010 Juneau Douglas High School Graduate and now a student of Brown University

Interests:

Growing up in Alaska got me interested in marine science. I have always been fascinated with marine life and I also really enjoy fishing and harvesting from nature. I have a great appreciation for the environment in which we live and share with so many different creatures. Conserving our environment is my greatest motivator for pursuing the marine sciences.

Career Goals:

My plans are to earn a bachelor degree in biology and a master’s degree in a more specialized area (presumably marine biology). From there I will pursue a career in which I can conduct research and seek ways in which we can live on this earth without decimating natural resources. However, I will keep my options open, and perhaps I will pursue a teaching job as well.

What are your primary responsibilities at your internship?

I am the primary caretaker of the wet lab that contains all of the live specimens. I make crab food, feed crab, clean the tanks, and make sure that the crab are overall content. There are a couple of on-going studies in the lab that I record data for. Together a graduate student and I take phytoplankton samples in Auke Bay. We analyze the samples to detect for Alexandrium (PSP causing dinoflagellate). I’ve also worked on a project studying the growth rate of juvenile king crab.

Favorite memory or what you like most about your internship

What I’ve liked most about my internship this summer is meeting so many experienced scientists. It’s great being part of a community actively learning and exploring interesting and important topics. There is such a wide variety of areas to explore. It’s been helpful witnessing what being and becoming a marine scientist entails. I know what to expect and I’m excited for it.

How has living on the coast and/or being an Alaska Native influenced your occupational choice?

Living in Southeast Alaska has had a huge impact on my interest in marine science, environmental studies, resource management and conservation. I grew up exploring the wilderness and following my curiosities with life of all sorts. I hope to one day have a career that allows me to stay in Alaska studying, and preserving its beauty.

What helped you get to where you are today and/or what roadblocks did you have to over come?

Relentless support and encouragement from my family, a good attitude, and eagerness to learn helped me get where I am today.

Any advice for young coastal Alaskan's who are interested in the marine sciences and fisheries?

My advice for those who are interested in the marine sciences is to volunteer! Get out there and meet local scientists and see if you can get some experience in their lab or help out with their research in any way. Start making connections and get your name out there.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful commentary Jas! I am inspired by your attitude and perseverance. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete